What's happening in DC this weekend? Here are some of the highlights--fun for you, a date and/or the kids and many of the events are free:
- Head over to the Strathmore Mansion on Friday August 14, 2009 for the Comcast Outdoor Film Festival. First up is "Curious Case of Benjamin Button". On Saturday, August 15, 2009 take the kiddos to see "Kung Fu Panda" and on Sunday, August 16, 2009 the festival features "The Dark Knight". Show times is approximately 8:10 p.m. Bring a blanket, some movie food (popcorn will be available for purchase). Strathmore Mansion, 10701 Rockville Pike, North Bethesda (Metro: Grosvenor). 301-581-5100. http://www.strathmore.org. Free.
- The U.S. Air Force Band plays on Wednesdays and Fridays at 8 p.m. at the Air Force Memorial in Arlington, VA. This week on August 14, 2009 the theme is Singer's Extravaganza. This is a free event.
- National Museum of American History presents Broad Stripes and Bright Stars for the kids. On Saturday, August 15, 2009 from 10:30 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. in Flag Hall (second floor center). The kids can meet Mary Pickersgill, the seamstress who sewed the Star-Spangled Banner (in 1813), and learn about the flag that inspired our National Anthem. Help her assemble the huge garrison flag and experience the personal stories of the people behind its creation. Learn the history of the Star-Spangled Banner, an important symbol of resilience and independence. This is a free event.
- Head over to the National Gallery of Art to watch the silent movie "The Green Goddess" with live music provided by David Arner on piano on Saturday, August 15 at 3:30 p.m. in the East Building Concourse, Auditorium. The movie is a 1921 melodrama tells the tale of a colorful Rajah of the Princedom of Rukhâ--a tyrant who cleverly exploits a band of English travelers when their plane lands on his turf. This is a free event.
- Metro DC Dances at Carter Barron Amphitheatre. On August 15 at 7:30 p.m. at the Carter Barron Amphitheatre in Rock Creek Park (4850 Colorado Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20011) bring the family and see FREE DC dance under the stars. Featuring performances by: Aysha Upchurch/Life, Rhythm, Move Project; CityDance2; Dakshina/Daniel Phoenix Singh Dance Company; DCypher Dance; Furia Flamenca; RhythmiX; Shange Dance Productions; Urban Artistry. Tickets: Free Go to www.mason-rhynes.org for info.
- Howard County Fair. August 8-15, 2009. Howard County Fairgrounds, 2210 Fairgrounds Rd., West Friendship, MD. 410-442-1022. Pig races, magicians, pony shows, yummy foods the Baltimore's Marching Raven Band, and a pie eating are some of the highlights fair goers will enjoy. Admission is $5.
- Montgomery County Fair. August 14, 22, 2009. Montgomery County Fairgrounds, 500 Perry Pkwy, Gaithersburg, MD. 301-926-3100. What you can enjoy: the Battle of the Beast Rodeo, Monster Truck Madness, Demolition Derby, a larger variety of commercial and craft exhibits, a milking parlor and birthing center, new concessions and new Moovies in Community Square. Admission is $8 per an adult and $3 for children 2-7. Parking is $5. An all day carnival ride wrist band is $25.