November in Washington, DC
- Average High: 57 degrees
- Average Low: 40 degrees
- Record High: 86 degrees
- Record Low: 16 degrees
- Average Precipitation: 3.03 inches
What to Pack
Autumn in Washington, DC is so pleasant. The days are warm enough to take walking tours and enjoy the mild weather, while evenings tend to be a bit cooler. Snow in November in the District is rare, though the chances increase towards the end of the month.
- Long Sleeve Shirts
- Light coat or jacket
- Comfortable Shoes
- Long pants
November Happening Highlights
- Tickets for the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony are given out at 8 a.m. Date of ticket distribution to be announced.
- Kids Euro Festival, runs through November 10, 2009. Kids Euro Festival features over 150 free performances for young children.
- Day of the Dead Festival, October 31- November 1, 2009. Head over to the National Museum of the American Indian and see an ofrenda (altar) display in the NMAI's Potomac Atrium. On Sunday, Nov. 1, enjoy Los Dias de los Muertos, celebrated in communities throughout the U. S., Mexico.
- Veterans Day, November 11, 2009. Wreath laying ceremonies are a wonderful way to honor the U.S. military and many of the national memorials will be paying tribute to the men and women in the armed services.
- Late Harvest Ball at Gadsby's Tavern Museum (134 North Royal Street). November 21, 2009, 8-11 p.m. As the harvest season comes to a close, the social season in 18th-century Alexandria begins with the ball. The evening will feature a variety of English country dances, live music, dessert collation, gaming, and a cash bar. Period costume optional, "after-five" attire encouraged.
- City of Alexandria Holiday Tree Lighting, Friday, November 27, 2009 (7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.). This is a kid and pet friendly event with a visit from Santa Claus.
- Mount Vernon by Candlelight, November 27, 2009-January 6, 2010. Tour the Mount Vernon estate by candlelight and learn about the Christmas traditions of George Washington and his family.
- Washington Jewish Film Festival 2009 Dates to be Announced.
Things to Consider
- Hotel prices and airfare tend to be high.
- Congress is in session so traffic will be heavy.
- During a presidential election year; the city is bustling as it prepares to inaugerate a new President.