Getting tickets to tour the White House isn't impossible, but it will require some planning. Once you've determined what days you will be visiting DC, contact your member of Congress and request tickets to tour the White House. Tours are self-guided and begin at 7:30 a.m. and run until 11:30 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
Time Required: At least one month and up to no more than six months in advance
- Determine the dates you will be traveling to DC.
- Contact your Member of Congress and request tickets during the days you will be in town. Provide them with a couple of date options.
- As the day of your departure for DC nears and if you haven't heard back from your Member of Congress, call their office and follow-up with a staffer.
- Tours are provided to groups of 10 or more, but do not worry if your traveling party doesn't meet that requirement. Your Member of Congress will try and pair you up with other tourists who are also visiting during the same days you are.
- When the Congressional office contacts you to arrange the tour, be prepared to provide the congressional staff with your date of birth and social security number and those of anyone in your traveling party.