On average, January is the coolest month in DC and the city seems to slow down after the winter holidays. To follow is information to help you plan what to pack and what to expect in the way of events that will be occurring in the District during the month of January.
- Average high: 42 degrees
- Average low: 27 degrees
- Record high: 79 degrees
- Record low: -14 degrees
What to Pack
- Heavy Coat
- Hat or ear muffs
- Snow shoes or Wellies
- Sweaters, long sleeves and/or rugby shirts
- Long pants
- Cycle World International Motorcycle Show. January 15-17, 2010. Washington Convention Center, 801 Mount Vernon Place, NW Washington, DC.
- 55th Annual Washington Antiques Show. January 8-10, 2010. The Katzen Arts Center At American University, 4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC 20016; 202-388-9560.
- NBC4’s Health and Fitness Expo. January 16-17. 2010. Washington DC Convention Center, 801 Mount Vernon Place, NW Washington, DC. Admission is free.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Events. Events honoring the civil rights leader will occur throughout the month.
- Washington Auto Show. January 27-31, 2010. Washington DC Convention Center, 801 Mount Vernon Place, NW Washington, DC.
Things to Consider
- The crowds tend to thin out during the winter months and you can generally get some good deals and discounts when booking hotel rooms.
- The weather is unpredictable and with the possibility of snow and ice storms in the North Eastern region, be prepared for flight delays due to winter weather.
- January is also a great shopping month in and around the District with all of the post-holiday sales.
- If it is a presidential inaugural year, book your hotels well in advance of the inauguration festivities because hotel rooms go quickly.