The Friendship Firehouse is a lesser known piece of history that visitors to Washington, DC, especially those with small children, will really enjoy. The firehouse was home to the first volunteer fire company in Alexandria. Established in 1774, George Washington was among the members of the volunteer association.
Today, the current firehouse, which is now a museum paying tribute to our early fire fighter pioneers. Originally built in 1855, the firehouse was remodeled in 1871 and renovated in 1992. The Engine Room is located on the first floor and is really where the majority of the historical artifacts can be found. Visitors will delight at a hand-drawn fire engine and enjoy seeing the leather water buckets, axes, and other historic fire-fighting equipment.
When to Go
On the first Saturday of August the Friendship Veterans Fire Engine Association plays host to its annual Firehouse Festival.
This family event features antique fire apparatus, craft booths, displays by Alexandria merchants, and live music. Children will get to meet a real Dalmatian, sit inside a fire truck and will go home with a free red plastic fire helmet.